Do not get into a perilous heat about things. If ever heat were justified, it was surely justified in the circumstances outlined in the Psalm. Evil doers were moving about clothed in purple and fine linen, and faring sumptuously every day. "Workers of iniquity" were climbing into the supreme places of power, and were tyrannizing their less fortunate brethren. Sinful men and women were stalking through the land in the pride of life and basking in the light and comfort of great prosperity, and good men were becoming heated and fretful.
"Fret not thyself." Do not get unduly heated! Keep cool! Even in a good cause, fretfulness is not a wise help-meet. Fretting only heats the bearings; it does not generate the steam. It is no help to a train for the axles to get hot; their heat is only a hindrance. When the axles get heated, it is because of unnecessary friction; dry surfaces are grinding together, which ought to be kept in smooth co-operation by a delicate cushion of oil.
And is it not a suggestive fact that this word "fret" is closely akin to the word "friction," and is an indication of absence of the anointing oil of the grace of God?
In fretfulness, a little bit of grit gets into the bearings some slight disappointment, some ingratitude, some discourtesy and the smooth working of the life is checked. Friction begets heat; and with the heat, most dangerous conditions are created.
Do not let thy bearings get hot. Let the oil of the Lord keep thee cool, lest by reason of an unholy heat thou be reckoned among the evil-doers.
The Silver Lining.
- Dear restless heart, be still; don't fret and worry so;
- God has a thousand ways His love and help to show;
- Just trust, and trust, and trust, until His will you know.
- Dear restless heart, be still, for peace is God's own smile,
- His love can every wrong and sorrow reconcile;
- Just love, and love, and love, and calmly wait awhile.
- Dear restless heart, be brave; don't moan and sorrow so,
- He hath a meaning kind in chilly winds that blow;
- Just hope, and hope, and hope, until you braver grow.
- Dear restless heart, repose upon His breast this hour,
- His grace is strength and life, His love is bloom and flower,
- Just rest, and rest, and rest, within His tender power.
- Dear restless heart, be still! Don't struggle to be free;
- God's life is in your life, from Him you may not flee;
- Just pray, and pray, and pray, till you have faith to see.
- Edith Willis Linn.
Return to Table of Contents